What happens if my student is charged with violating the Student Conduct Code? Is there anything I can do to help my student during the university’s judicial process?

The student will be asked to set a meeting with a Judicial Affairs staff member to go over the process. Then the student makes a request to have the case heard, choosing from among three options: Administrative Option Involving Acceptance of Responsibility, Administrative Option Involving Denial of Responsibility, or the Judicial Affairs Hearing Board Hearing. As these options are preferences, the university reserves the right to choose an option if the situation warrants such a choice by the university. For more detailed information, please see the Student Conduct Code.

You can help guide your student through the judicial affairs process and be supportive while still holding the student accountable. You can also help identify and provide necessary interventions, such as alcohol or drug evaluations, anger management, and others, so that your student can be successful at CU. Allow and expect the student to set appointments, attend meetings, and fulfill sanctions. It is usually not helpful to the educational development of the student, or resolution of the matter, for you to take over the process for your student. During disciplinary meetings or conferences the student may have an advisor present and the advisor may be a parent. The role of the advisor is to support and advise the student but not to speak for or represent the student.